Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Lentil, Apple, and Arugula Salad



This is a very simple salad that is great for lunch or dinner. It is both light and incredibly filling. Despite the fact that I made a double portion the last time I made it, resulting in my having to eat this one salad for an entire week, it still tasted good days later.

I first had this salad in Germany, made after a magazine recipe, so I can't give credit where credit is due! I've simply translated it, with a few small changes.

150 g Puy lentils
1 sour apple
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 bunch of arugula
4 spring onions
2 tablespoons apple vinegar
salt, pepper, cayenne
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon pine nuts

Boil lentils in 1/2 L water, then cook covered, at medium heat, for 35-45 minutes, until they are cooked through but not too soft. Drain and allow to cool.

Wash or peel the apple, core it, cut it in wedges, and then in small slices. Mix in lemon juice to coat apple. Chop the arugula roughly, and cut the spring onions into rings. Make dressing out of the vinegar, salt, pepper, cayenne, and olive oil. Mix lentils, apples, arugula, and dressing. Roast the pine nuts, and sprinkle them on the salad.

Now, if you are paying close attention, you will notice that the salad in the picture above contains a few extra ingredients. After eating this salad for four days, for lunch and dinner, I did need a little variation for the last portion. So I sprinkled on some sharp grated cheese and raisins. I have to say, this variation was quite delicious, since the sweetness of the raisins harmonised nicely with the tang of the apple.

2 comments:

tasteofbeirut said...

Great idea! I love cooking with lentils and with this salad I have another inspiration!

i said...

Thanks! I didn't come up with the recipe -- I just translated it -- but it's become a real favourite. Let me know if you try it.