Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Corn Soup aux homards

Does it seem like there are a lot of soup recipes on this blog? Are you quite sick of soup yet? Alas, this will not stop soon. I've mentioned before that I don't like repeating other people's recipes too much. So I only feel comfortable writing up recipes that I've altered a great deal, that I know are unavailable to the general public, that are from my family, or that I've invented wholesale. And let's face it, one of the easiest ways to invent new recipes is to make soup. You just throw everything in a pot and cook!

This particular dish came from a bout of pantry cleaning, and indeed, it is the perfect pantry dish. It could have been made very simply, but I wanted to use some of my fancier ingredients, namely, Coconut Oil and Lobster Base. So I tarted things up a little. But the recipe itself could not be easier to do. I decided to keep the aromatics simple and subtle, so as to let the broth and corn play center stage, but to add a dash of chipotle for a layer of spice. Fry, boil, puree, and that's it!

Corn soup aux homards

Ingredients

  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or vegetable oil, or ghee)
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 4 cans sweet corn (can use 2 lbs frozen)
  • 6 cups lobster broth (or any broth you have handy)
  • 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder (less if you want a milder soup)
  • 1/4 cup roasted pepitas
  • 1/4 red onion, chopped
  • 1/2 cup sour cream

Cooking Directions

  1. Heat the coconut oil over gentle heat, add the chopped onion and fry until just soft and translucent, 2-3 minutes.
  2. Add the chopped garlic cloves, and fry around 1 minute, but do not brown.
  3. Throw in the canned corn, the lobster broth, and chipotle powder.
  4. Boil for about twenty minutes, then puree with a stick blender.
  5. Garnish with sour cream, chopped red onion, and pepitas, and serve!

0 comments: